Biography of Ildefonso Aguinagalde (1792-1882)

Priest, politician and educator born in Carora, Lara state, on January 23, 1792, and died in Caracas on January 10, 1882. He/She was a prominent member of the liberalism of the half of the 19th century.

He attended his primary and secondary studies in Carora. Subsequently, he/she was sent by his parents to Mérida, where he/she graduated in philosophy, theology and Canon law. In 1812, he/she received the tonsure and minor orders. In the middle of that same year, he/she made his vows in the Franciscan order and moved to Maracaibo where took the habits. In 1816 he/she was ordained in Caracas in the convent of San Francisco de Caracas. He/She returned to Carora in 1821, where he/she was for a short time functions of sacristan in the parish church of this city.

Since 1826 until 1829 he/she served as parish priest in his hometown. It was founded in 1829 a secondary (classes of latinity) in the Franciscan convent of Carora. In 1931, due to the pressure exerted by Francisco Juan Oropeza Álvarez, its kind of latinity was in danger. Oropeza Álvarez pointed out that in Carora was priority to teach a class of letters. Despite these drawbacks, he/she continued practicing as educator.

On different occasions he/she was accused by the "conservative" or "liberal" "Goths". In 1854, after Clemente Fonseca took Barquisimeto against the regime of José Tadeo Monagas, this became to Carora, where took hostage fray Ildefonso. When it erupted in 1859 the Federal war was supporter of the federalists, so could not return to his hometown, currently in the hands of the centralist José María Rubín.

He did not return to Carora and settled in Caracas, where continued practicing as an educator. In the University and the seminary it was responsible for Professor of Latin, grammar, theology and morality. In 1863, with the triumph of the Federation, was appointed member of the National Assembly gathered in the victory, which was named the general Juan Crisóstomo Falcón as provisional President of the Republic. Shortly afterwards he/she was appointed Chaplain of the Temple of Las Mercedes, who served until he/she died in 1882.