Biography of Mariano Barberán (1895-1933)

Spanish aviator Captain born in Guadalajara on October 14, 1895 and died, probably on June 20, 1933 somewhere in the Caribbean Sea between Cuba and the coast of Mexico. His full name was Mariano Barberán and Tros de Ilarduya.

He studied in his hometown and in 1910 joined the Academy of engineers, where he/she came into contact with the first push of the aviation military since the high command of the Spanish Aeronautics Academy of engineers of Guadalajara remained until 1915. In 1917 Barberán, 21 years old, began his career as a military engineer, and left his native city to enter, the following year, in Aviation of the army, despite his vision problems. In 1924 he/she became airplane pilot and took part in the campaigns of the Rif, where it was awarded. His participation in the war of Morocco was characterized by its technical expertise and proven value. He/She was Professor of the school of observers at Cuatro Vientos.

Barberan showed a great interest in aeronautical innovations, thus, acquired training in radio-telegraphy and aerial navigation, within the Academy's official of the Army Corps of engineers of the. Soon he/she stressed as introducer of technical innovations applied to aviation, but above all as a pilot of raids.

In 1933, along with Joaquín CollarAviator, it undertook a dangerous adventure that developed both at national heroes and brought them international recognition, was crossing the Atlantic, between Spain and Cuba. In 1925 he/she had referred to the possibility, theoretical way, perform a flight across the South Atlantic. Their study was useful for Ramón Franco, the protagonist of the first transoceanic flight (1926) of the Spanish aviation and had as origin and destination Spain and Argentina respectively.

The flight of Barberán and Collar

On June 9, 1933, on Board of the Cuatro Vientos, sesquiplane arrangement modified Breguet XIX aircraft, named "super tank", Spanish construction, both pilots, in the company of the mechanical Sergeant Modesto Madariaga almond Uriarte y Serrano, departed from the aerodrome of Tablada, Seville, heading toward Cuba. The next day they managed to land in Camagüey (Cuba), which broke mark flight over the sea, since they toured 7400 km in 39 hours and 55 minutes. After refuelling the aircraft they departed in the direction to Havana, where they stayed for several days, resting his adventure and preparing the next phase of the same.

Following the success of the feat, on June 20, 1933 they resumed the flight heading to Mexico, but never reached their destination, the aircraft was lost and never heard of its crew members. In the last stage of the flight, between Camaguey and city of Mexico, broke a strong storm that led to the trail of the four winds to be lost. The last point in which was recorded the passage of aircraft was the airfield of Villa Hermosa, 11:30 hours local on June 20, 1933.

There are many versions which have been given about the disappearance of the four winds, some completely fanciful and lacking in historical accuracy. He/She has speculated on the possibility of that would have to make an emergency landing near the Mexican sierra Mazatec, with injured Barberan, Collar tried to ask for help, but was detained by local people that perhaps ended up killing them and hiding them on the plane, that it was never found.