Architect and Decorator German. He was born in Hamburg, in 1868, and died in Berlin, in 1940. He studied at the schools of fine arts in Düsseldorf and Karlsruhe. It was one of the founders of the Münchner Sezession and one of the most important architects of his time. After a trip through Italy, began to be interested in the aesthetic problems posed by the new industrial era. In 1899 he was called by Duke Ernst Ludwig to Darmstadt, where he made friends with some young artists, with whom formed Die Sieben (seven) and with their assistance formulated the principle of coordination of all the arts together. In 1903 he was appointed director of the school of industrial arts in Düsseldorf. He made designs for the company AEG, the German electric company, where he established the role of the architect as a humanizing industrial designer of the technological environment; He designed pots and catalogs, banner, poster and buildings, from stores to the turbine factory. He helped to birth to modern architecture, although in the beginning it was almost traditional. It was a fundamental example of expressionist sculpture. Others of his works were the German Embassy in Petersburgo and Mannesmann in Düsseldorf offices. In 1922 he was appointed director of the school of architecture and the Academy of Vienna. Among his numerous disciples: Le Corbusier, Gropius and Mies Van der Rohe.