American chemist, born in Cambridge, Massachusetts on May 24, 1849 and died in Forest Glen in 1938.
Graduated Harvard Lawrence Scientific School in 1871 and served as Assistant to Professor Wolcott Gibbs until 1874. That same year, he was appointed reader of the dental school of Boston, a position he left to assume the square of chemistry teacher of the Academy Naval of the United States in Annapolis, where he remained until 1886.
Related to his military post, he was repeatedly required to inquire about explosives and his research resulted in the development of a gunpowder without smoke, which was used successfully in the Hispano-Norteamericana Guerra, as well as the discovery of the foundations of the explosive's hollow charge for the destruction of shields, that would be perfected in World War II.
He was among other charges, the reader of the St. John school ' Annapolis (1883-1884) and Professor at the George Washington University (1892-1918); He was a member of numerous scientific Berlin, New York and London societies and Vice President of the section of chemistry of the American Association for the development of science in 1984.
He published more than one hundred works in American and European magazines, and his publications include over fifty notes on literature of explosives and the index of the literature on explosives, published in Baltimore in 1886.