Italian composer. In 1895 he entered the Conservatory of Parma, his hometown, where he studied with T. Righi and G. Tebaldini, who introduced him to the Gregorian chant and the vocal polyphony. After its formation, in 1901, was for a substitute teacher while C. Campanini at the Royal theatre of Parma. In the Conservatory of the city he was appointed Professor in 1907 and, a year later, was Professor of harmony and counterpoint at the Conservatory in Florence, Center who led from 1917. Subsequently, he was appointed director of the Conservatory of Milan (1923) and in Rome (1936), as well as Professor of composition of the Academy of Santa Cecilia.
During the time he lived in Florence he met G. D´Annunzio, who put music to the poem Il Pastori. D´Annunzio wrote at the same time the libretto of Fedra (premiered in Milan in 1915) and La figlia di Iorio (Naples, 1954). The extensive production of Pizzetti dominated plays, which attempted to overcome the realism of Mascagni and Giordano, staying in the melodramatic Italian tradition. In his works vowels based on Gregorian chant, and creates a music which highlights the Prosody and the value of the words. His vocal production includes titles such as Missa di Requiem for voice solo (1922), 3 Composizioni corali (1942.1943) and Piccola cantata d´amore (1966) for soprano, choir of women and small Orchestra.
HONEGGER, Marc, dictionary of music. Madrid, Espasa Calpe, Second Edition, 1993.